Stoke City have sacked manager Nathan Jones following the club’s disastrous start to the Championship season.
The Potters have won just twice in the league this season and currently sit second-bottom of the table.
Jones moved to the Bet365 Stadium in January, quitting Luton Town who were in the automatic promotion places in League One, to succeed Gary Rowett.
Stoke were 14th in the Championship table at the time of Jones’ appointment and went on to finish 16th, winning just three of their remaining 20 matches.
This term has been even more of a nightmare, with ten defeats from 14 games leaving the club four points adrift of safety.
Jones, whose old side Luton went on to seal promotion and are six points above Stoke in the Championship table, told talkSPORT last month that he would never walk away from the job.
Jones was expected to lose his job after the opening ten games following crisis talks with Stoke officials, but in a dramatic turn of events the 46-year-old got the backing of the board.
The Potters were rewarded with excellent wins away at Swansea and at home to Fulham.
But since then, back-to-back defeats to Sheffield Wednesday and most recently Millwall have sealed his fate.
It means Jones’ reign ends with just five wins from 34 Championship games in charge.
Latest posts by Alex Varney (see all)
- Jose Mourinho will be back at Manchester United two weeks into Tottenham reign with Chelsea also up before Christmas - November 20, 2019
- Jose Mourinho sounded out by Tottenham as club SACK Mauricio Pochettino after five years as manager - November 19, 2019
- Mauricio Pochettino SACKED: Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy says change in club’s best interests - November 19, 2019