Adrian Durham’s omission of Dennis Berkamp from his top five Dutchmen to play in the Premier League hasn’t gone down well among Arsenal fans and former players!
The talkSPORT presenter picked Edwin van der Sar, Virgil van Dijk, Arjen Robben, Jaap Stam and Ruud van Nistelrooy as the best players from the Netherlands he had seen play in English football.
Durham’s co-host on Drivetime, Darren Gough, questioned the decision to leave Gunners legend Bergkamp out – and he wasn’t the only one.
A furious Martin Keown, who played alongside Bergkamp for nine years, couldn’t believe what Durham thought, referring to his former team mate as an “absolute football God”.
And another of Bergkamp’s old team mates, Cesc Fabregas, has also been left in utter disbelief by our man’s verdict.
In a Twitter post on Monday, Fabregas retweeted Durham’s claim about Bergkamp and included the following message: “Is this guy serious? Lost the plot big time there.
“If you don’t think Bergkamp was that good, then you don’t understand this sport at all.”
Fabregas’ remarks were pretty harsh, but that was nothing compared to what Keown had to say about our Adrian!
“I just feel that Adrian Durham, he clearly doesn’t know anything about football,” the Arsenal legend said on talkSPORT.
“If you don’t pick him in the top five – have you renewed his contract? Because that’s ridiculous.
“If you’ve got a footballing opinion and want to take some sense, then don’t wind us up by telling us that.
“It’s a disgrace, on behalf of the Bergkamp family I have to argue that Bergkamp was definitely in the top five of Dutch players that have come to this country.
“He was an absolute football God, a genius on the football pitch, it was like watching a ballerina with the balance that he had…
“He has to [apologise] because it doesn’t stack up.”
Durham swiftly responded to Keown’s comments and asked why Arsenal never won the Champions League or back-to-back Premier League titles.
He also pointed out how Bergkamp never scored more than 20 goals in a Premier League season despite playing at Arsenal for eleven years.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Stoke vs West Brom (Monday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Borussia Dortmund vs Inter (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Vitoria Guimaraes vs Arsenal (Wednesday, 3:50pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Red Star Belgrade vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Atalanta vs Manchester City (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Lazio vs Celtic (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Chelsea vs Crystal Palace (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Nottingham Forest vs Derby (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Everton (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leicester vs Arsenal (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Bristol City (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2