Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed Heung-min Son is in a ‘good way’ following his involvement in Andre Gomes’ horror injury.
The South Korea international was visibly distraught after his tackle left the Everton midfielder needing surgery on a broken and dislocated ankle.
He received a red card from referee Martin Atkinson, which has since been overturned by the Football Association on appeal, and needed support from his club on Monday.
That led to some doubt over whether he would travel with Spurs to Serbia for their crunch Champions League clash with Red Star Belgrade on Wednesday, but he joined the squad and looks set to play.
“Son was devastated after the action,” said Pochettino, who reiterated the club’s best wishes to Gomes.
“It was a mix of everything, it was a mix of the injury, a mix of the red card, the situation of the game it was an emotional moment for everyone.
“Now after a few days, everyone is available to play. He is in a very good way, he feels sorry like everyone, but he is in good form.”
Son will now not have to serve a three-match domestic ban after the FA said a ‘claim of wrongful dismissal’ had been upheld.
News of the club’s successful appeal against the sending-off came just before Pochettino addressed the media in the Serbian capital and he always believed the red card would not stand.
“I was confident,” he said. “We were all confused after the game, I was talking with different people and the referee too.
“There was confusion, but now it is completely fair that in the end he is not going to be suspended.
“But we cannot change the result, playing with 10 men opened the game for them and we ended losing the two points.
“But the good news is Sonny is going to be available.”
Latest posts by Joe (see all)
- ‘F*** the performance, just win’ – Chris Coleman sends rallying cry to Wales ahead of crucial Euro 2020 qualifiers with Azerbaijan and Hungary - November 15, 2019
- Carl Froch claims he would have ‘absolutely hammered’ Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and ‘been too much’ for Gennady Golovkin - November 15, 2019
- Dani Ceballos edging closer to permanent Arsenal transfer as midfielder ‘refuses to play for Real Madrid’ while Zinedine Zidane is manager – reports - November 15, 2019