talkSPORT.com brings you the latest news from the world of mixed martial arts…
Khabib vs Ferguson planned for 2020
Dana White confirmed there were some exciting fights being planned for next year including Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson.
The pair have been scheduled to face each other four times now in the UFC but it has been cancelled each time due to illness or injury and the lightweight champ is keen to defend his title in his native Russia.
“If you think about next year, Conor has said publicly that he wants to come back and fight next year,” Dana White said in his post-UFC 244 press conference.
“You’ve got Tony vs Khabib, you’ve got Masvidal out there right not, you’ve got Israel Adesanya who is saying ‘everybody thinks Yoel Romero is so tough, I’ll fight Yoel Romero’.
“And then you’ve got [Paulo] Costa out there, too. There’s a lot of good fights next. And oh, we haven’t talked about [Jon] Jones.
“Then you’ve still got Stipe [Miocic] and [Daniel] Cormier again. There’s so many good fights next year.”
LATEST SPORT NEWS
Khabib’s father, Abdulmanap, wrote on social media that his son would fight Ferguson before potentially turning his attention to a crossover fight with Floyd Mayweather.
Sharing an image of Khabib and Mayweather, Nurmagomedov Sr wrote: “Floyd, I respect your wish to fight Khabib. At the moment we have our most crucial moment, when he have to hold the best fight in the history of the UFC.
“Twelve against 12 in a series of victories [in the UFC] and all the fans are waiting for this fight.
“We’ve been preparing for this fight for more than a year. Five months and the fight [with Ferguson] should take place.”
View this post on Instagram
Флойд …уважаю желание провести бой с Хабибом . У нас сейчас самый ответственный момент, когда нам предстоит провести лучший бой в истории UFC. 12 против 12 из серии побед и болельщики ждут этого боя . Мы готовились к этому бою в обшей сложности больше года . Пять месяцев и бой должен состоятся . В впервые нам нужно будет выступить по боксу и нам нужен будет лагер – Ломаченко старшего на полгода . Почему бы нет !!!
Dana White gives Conor McGregor update
McGregor’s manager, Audie Attar claimed that productive talks had taken place with the UFC over his next fight and his next opponent had been agreed.
The Irish fighter wants to make his return to the Octagon on January 18 but Dana White said there was still a long way to go.
He said after UFC 244 on Sunday morning: “There’s nothing done. Literally zero.
“Conor came out and said that. People then said, ‘Is this true?’ And I said, ‘He wants to fight that date’. But we literally haven’t done anything.
“Nobody has called [Donald] Cerrone. Cerrone actually texted me yesterday and said, ‘I hope all this talk is true’. So there is literally nothing done. Zero.”
Darren Till got help from Trump
The Liverpool fighter had visa issues in the week leading up to his clash with Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 244.
Till, though, revealed President Donald Trump may have helped smooth things over for him.
“I think Trump got involved. I’m not so sure, but I think he got a call,” Till told Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show.
“I’m not so sure, but I think he got a call. I’m not so sure. It’s just madness, Trump speaking my name! I don’t even know what to say.”
Even if the President of the United States did help with his visa issue he actually caused him problems with his medical.
“They were shutting down the USADA office for the president and then they tried to kick me out of the room.
“They were saying that I couldn’t fight. I refused to leave the room. Kevin Lee had just left, and so did Derrick Lewis, and then I was just sat there.
“I made sure the doctor came to my room to get my medical because that was just another thing. If anything could have went wrong, it did.”
Latest posts by Joshua (see all)
- How Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s awful win record as Manchester United boss compares to David Moyes, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho after 22 Premier League games - December 2, 2019
- Gareth Bale mocked by Real Madrid teammate Mariano with golf swing gesture in following Wales flag controversy - November 22, 2019
- Manchester United are ‘premier option’ for Gareth Bale as Jose Mourinho’s arrival at Tottenham makes return unlikely - November 22, 2019