Chelsea fans are almost universally delighted with Frank Lampard as their manager, but one of the few supporters frustrated with the Blues boss called into talkSPORT last night.
John the Chelsea fan joined the Sports Bar after watching his beloved club fight back from three goals down to draw 4-4 with Ajax in a stunning Champions League encounter.
The result means the west Londoners sit joint top of Group H with Ajax and Valencia, who have all won seven points from four matches, and continues Lampard’s pretty good start to life as Chelsea boss.
But ‘pretty good’ is clearly not enough for John, who was critical of Chelsea’s defensive performances under their legendary former midfielder.
And how would John solve these issues? For this Blues fan, there is only one answer – bring back Jose Mourinho!
Calling into the Sports Bar, John said: “I’m not saying I want Lampard to step down, but with his attacking intent and Jose’s defensive approach, I think those boys together would be what we need.
“Going forward we are probably better than Man City at the moment, but defensively it’s a bit naïve.
“My point is, Frank needs to step down and be assistant manager to Jose Mourinho.
“He’d come back almost grooming Frank to be the next big thing.”
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Sports Bar hosts Jason Cundy and Andy Goldstein could not believe what they were hearing from John, and they asked him to explain himself just to make sure they understood what was being suggested.
“What I’m trying to get across is Mourinho as no.1 and Lampard as no.2,” John continued, “with Lampard stepping in [as manager] after.
“I think [Lampard] can see the divisions in the team and may need a bit of guidance.
“Jose’s not going to go back and be his no.2, is he! The two of them together would be perfect.”
Unsurprisingly, Goldstein and Cundy were stunned by John’s call, and they did not hold back in blasting the Blues fan.
“This might be one of the most nuts calls we’ve ever had,” said Goldstein, while Cundy remarked: “This is one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever heard a Chelsea fan say on here.”
You can watch John’s call into talkSPORT, in full, above…
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Vitoria Guimaraes vs Arsenal (Wednesday, 3:50pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Red Star Belgrade vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Atalanta vs Manchester City (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Lazio vs Celtic (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Chelsea vs Crystal Palace (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Nottingham Forest vs Derby (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Everton (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leicester vs Arsenal (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Bristol City (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
Latest posts by Billy Hawkins (see all)
- Jordon Ibe: Bournemouth footballer to face trial over coffee shop car crash in Bentley which caused £15,000 worth of damage - December 11, 2019
- Genk supporters allegedly attacked ‘with hammers and axes’ in Naples ahead of Napoli Champions League clash - December 11, 2019
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer press conference: Manchester United manager confirms Paul Pogba is still injured and discusses Red Devils’ excellent week - December 11, 2019