John Terry rubbished claims that Chelsea did not sign Sergio Aguero based on his recommendations.
The Blues were reportedly in for Aguero in 2009, when he was 21, but they were not prepared to meet the £40million asking price Atletico Madrid had set.
The Athletic report that Terry was not very impressed with the Argentina international and told club chiefs they should look at signing David Villa instead.
In a post on his Instagram story, he wrote: “Where do these get the stories from?
“If they bothered calling players’ agents it would solve an awful lot of nonsense.”
Aguero went on to sign for Manchester City in 2011 for a fee of around £35million and he has gone on to be one of the most prolific strikers in the Premier League era.
He is the Manchester club’s all-time record goalscorer with 244 in all competitions from 352 games.
The 31-year-old has also won four league titles, four League Cups and the FA Cup in his eight-and-a-half seasons with the club.
He also has a brilliant record against the Blues with 15 of those goals coming against the side who could have signed him.
Aguero could add to that tally as the two sides face each other on Saturday, with commentary of the match live on talkSPORT.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Fulham vs QPR (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- West Ham vs Tottenham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Charlton vs Cardiff (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Arsenal vs Southampton (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Man City vs Chelsea (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Middlesbrough vs Hull (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
Chelsea were not able to sign Villa but instead signed Fernando Torres for £50million from Liverpool in January 2011.
The Spanish striker never really hit top form at Stamford Bridge and managed 45 goals in 172 games.
Latest posts by Joshua (see all)
- Liverpool set to play Monterrey in FIFA Club World Cup semi-final as Mexican side beat Al Sadd - December 14, 2019
- Arsenal confirm Kieran Tierney needs surgery on dislocated shoulder suffered in win over West Ham - December 14, 2019
- Eden Hazard vows to go back to Chelsea when he’s done at Real Madrid and says he keeps up with their results - December 14, 2019