Julian Nagelsmann has emerged as a managerial target for Tottenham amid doubts over the future of Mauricio Pochettino in the White Hart Lane dugout.
According to the Times, Spurs are ‘considering’ the RB Leipzig head coach as Pochettino’s departure is now a matter of ‘when and not if’.
The 32-year-old Nagelsmann is widely regarded as one of the finest young coaches in world football, and he has been targeted by many European giants given his remarkable record at such a young age.
Bayern Munich have previously moved for the former Hoffenheim boss, while the Times report claims Manchester United are, like Spurs, tracking him.
After spending just over three years in charge of Hoffenheim, having been promoted from their youth setup, Nagelsmann took the RB Leipzig job before the start of this season.
He’s managed a superb 65 per cent winning record with Leipzig, who currently sit second in the Bundesliga and first in their Champions League group.
But could Nagelsmann be on the move again if Spurs come calling? Mark Langdon, the European football expert and frequent talkSPORT contributor, doubts such a switch will happen at this moment in time.
“Julian Nagelsmann has done a fantastic job,” Langdon told the Sports Bar. “First with Hoffenheim taking them from absolute relegation bankers to the Champions League a couple of times. That got him the Leipzig job.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Germany vs Northern Ireland (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Fulham vs QPR (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- West Ham vs Tottenham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Charlton vs Cardiff (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Arsenal vs Southampton (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Man City vs Chelsea (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Middlesbrough vs Hull (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
“He was strongly liked to Bayern Munich but they felt he was a little too young for that position.
“What I would say is I think it would take a big offer to get him out of Leipzig, because they are team going places.
“I would imagine Tottenham wouldn’t be the only team interested in him if he were available, but I don’t really see the urge for him to leave Leipzig.”
Spurs also remain admirers of Brendan Rodgers, the Leicester manager, while Bournemouth’s Eddie Howe is another target of the north Londoners with Pochettino’s future uncertain.
Listen to Mark Langdon on talkSPORT, above…
Saturday is GameDay on talkSPORT as we bring you THREE live Premier League commentaries across our network, including West Ham vs Tottenham at 12:30pm
Latest posts by Billy Hawkins (see all)
- West Brom 5-1 Swansea: Baggies return to top of Championship with stunning home victory - December 8, 2019
- ‘AFTV OUT’ graffitied on wall near Emirates Stadium as Arsenal fans appear to turn on fan YouTube channel - December 8, 2019
- Chelsea in frame to make summer move for Jadon Sancho… and will pay club-record transfer fee to sign England wonderkid - December 8, 2019