Belgian Yves Lampaert won the second stage of the Vuelta a Espana and took the overall lead of the race with a late attack on the 203.4km ride from Nimes to Gruissan on Sunday.Lampaert won from teammate Matteo Trentin in a time of 4hr 36min 13sec as Qu...
Opener Shikhar Dhawan's blazing century and a disciplined effort by the spinners powered India to a nine-wicket win over Sri Lanka in the first one-day international on Sunday.Chasing a modest 217 for victory, India rode on an unbeaten 197-run stand be...
Qatar has blocked Saudi planes from transporting hajj pilgrims, Saudi state media said Sunday, after Riyadh reopened the border despite a major diplomatic crisis roiling the Gulf.Riyadh last week reopened its land border with Qatar and allocated seven ...
A British-Australian boy aged seven who had been reported as missing by his grandfather was killed in the vehicle rampage in Barcelona, his family and Spanish officials said Sunday.Julian Cadman was among 14 people killed in the twin assaults in Spain,...
A United Nations investigation published Sunday confirmed that Taliban and self-proclaimed Islamic State insurgents jointly massacred dozens of people in Afghanistan earlier this month in an attack that "may amount to a war crime".The body's mission in...
Iran's ex-president Mohammad Khatami on Sunday asked supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to intervene in the case of two reformist politicians under house arrest without trial for the past six years.The two high-profile reformists -- Mehdi Karroubi a...
The very thought that Lula might go to prison causes Maria Helena da Conceicao to break into tears. To her, the former Brazilian president is much more than just a politician facing corruption charges and fighting to regain power.The fortyish Maria Hel...
Manchester City's former French international midfielder Samir Nasri on Sunday arrived in Turkey to join big spending Turkish side Antalyaspor on a reported two-year deal.Nasri, who spent last season on loan at Sevilla and appeared unlikely to figure i...
Traces of the easy-to-make but deadly explosive TATP -- known as the "mother of Satan" -- have been found in a house where the alleged attackers in the twin assaults in Spain were believed to be building bombs, police said Sunday.Used by jihadists ever...
Australian international Aaron Mooy's stunning second-half goal gave Huddersfield a 1-0 victory over Newcastle and maintained their 100 percent record in their maiden season in the Premier League on Sunday.
Huddersfield signed Mooy full-time from Manchester City in the close season after he inspired them to promotion whilst on loan.
And the 26-year-old struck in the 50th minute to condemn Newcastle to their second successive defeat, the first time since 1999 the Magpies have lost their opening two fixtures in the top tier.
Huddersfield, though, occupy the dizzying heights of second in the table equal on points with Manchester United but with an inferior goal difference -- only the third time a promoted side has won its first two games in the Premier League.
The hosts started brightly with Newcastle content to absorb the pressure and hit them on the counter-attack.
However, a dreadful clearance by the Magpies Christian Atsu fell to one of Huddersfield's close season buys Tom Ince, but whilst his shot was on target it was easily saved by Rob Elliot.
It was Newcastle who went closest to breaking the deadlock inside the first 20 minutes as from a counter-attack Matt Ritchie unleashed a fine curling effort which was goalbound till Jonas Lossl produced a superb save to deny him.
Mooy, though, deservedly gave the hosts the lead five minutes into the second-half with a stunning effort, curling it past Elliot after a neat exchange with Elias Kachunga.
The goal rounded off an astonishing 14 pass move, the most thusfar in the lead-up to a Premier League goal this term.
Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez reacted by removing Dwight Gayle -- who hadn't looked like maintaining his habit of scoring every time the two sides met -- and sending on new recruit Joselu.
The Spaniard -- a £5m signing from Stoke in midweek -- went close with his first shot on target but Lossl tipped it away for a corner.
His compatriot Ayoze Perez should have done much better from the ensuing corner but he sent it over the bar from close range.
Finland observed a minute of silence on Sunday for the victims of a stabbing attack that left two people dead in what is being investigated as the country's first-ever terror attack. Another eight people were wounded in the stabbing spree on Friday in ...
Qatar's 2022 World Cup preparations have been inconvenienced but not delayed by the political and economic boycott by its neighbours, the country's most senior tournament organiser insisted Sunday.
Hassan Al-Thawadi, Secretary General the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy, said alternative suppliers outside those countries involved in the ongoing dispute have been found for tournament-related construction projects.
"The impact has been minimal," Thawadi told Doha-based broadcaster Al-Jazeera English in an interview to be aired later on Sunday.
"In terms of stadium progress or stadium construction and infrastructure requirements for the World Cup, progress is being made as well."
He added that the crisis has "caused an inconvenience".
Asked outright if projects had been delayed, Thawadi responded: "Projects are on schedule. No delays have occurred."
Qatar has been isolated since June 5 when Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt cut ties with the World Cup host -- accusing it of backing extremism and fostering ties with Iran -- triggering the biggest political crisis in the Gulf for several years.
Doha denies the claims.
Qatar initially gave priority to Gulf suppliers for the vast construction projects -- the country is spending $500m a week on World Cup projects -- accompanying the controversial tournament.
Since the conflict began some have questioned whether the gas-rich emirate can subsequently meet deadlines to build or renovate the eight stadiums currently earmarked for 2022.
But Doha has said it swiftly replaced Saudi and UAE companies with Chinese and Malaysian contractors, among others, since June 5.
Since winning the 2022 bid seven years ago, Qatar has been dogged by controversy over allegations of corruption to secure the tournament and the abuse of workers building stadiums, claims which it denies.
Also on Sunday, the Supreme Committee published plans for the design of its sixth tournament stadium, Al-Thumama, and the first to use a Qatari architect, Ibrahim Jaidah.
The 40,000-seater Doha stadium will be based on a traditional gahfiya head-dress worn throughout the region and matches will be played there up to the quarter-final stage in 2022.
"We've always been very careful to combine the past with the future in our designs." said Thawadi.
"The gahfiya is a continuation of that theme."
Construction work will be carried by a Qatari and Turkish company. Turkey is one of Qatar's strongest allies.
Qatar is preparing eight stadiums for 2022, though this may eventually increase to nine.
A final decision is expected by governing body FIFA this year.
Originally, up to 12 venues were to be used for the tournament.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday called on Turkish-origin Germans to give a "slap" to both parties in Chancellor Angela Merkel's ruling coalition in September polls, pressing on with what Berlin has condemned as unprecedented meddling.E...
Five people were reported dead Sunday when a rocket hit near an international trade fair in Syria's capital Damascus being held for the first time in five years.The Damascus International Fair was once the leading event on Syria's economic calendar but...
Three Lebanese soldiers were killed Sunday when a mine exploded under their vehicle in the east of the country along the border with Syria, the army said in a statement.The soldiers were en route to participate in an operation that began Saturday to ou...
Mourners wiped back tears at a solemn mass at Barcelona's stunning Sagrada Familia church on Sunday for victims of the deadly vehicle attacks that have devastated Spain."These have been days of tears, many tears but also of much humanity," Barcelona's ...
Germany international Nicolai Mueller faces half a year on the sidelines after rupturing his cruciate knee ligament as he celebrated scoring in Hamburg's opening game of the season.The 29-year-old was left red-faced after scoring the winner in the 1-0 ...
An Indian court has given a woman permission to divorce her husband because their home did not have a toilet, forcing her to seek relief outdoors.
The family court in the northwestern state of Rajasthan ruled on Friday in favour of the woman, who argued that her husband's failure to provide an indoor toilet during their five years of marriage amounted to cruelty.
Justice Rajendra Kumar Sharma said women in villages often endured physical pain waiting until darkness to relieve themselves outdoors.
The judge labelled open defecation -- a major health problem in India -- disgraceful and deemed it torture to deny women a safe environment for relief, the woman's lawyer Rajesh Sharma told AFP.
Divorce is only granted in India if proof such as cruelty, violence or undue financial demands are shown in court.
It is not the first time a marriage has been called off over a toilet.
Last year a woman refused to tie the knot in Uttar Pradesh state after her fiancé refused to build a toilet for the couple.
In June another woman refused to return to the home of her in-laws until they constructed a toilet.
Nearly half of India's population -- almost 600 million people -- defecate in the open, according to UNICEF.
Some 70 percent of Indian households do not have toilets, although 90 percent have access to mobile phones.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has promised to build a toilet in every home by 2019 in a bid to stamp out open defecation.
The government says 20 million toilets have been constructed since the start of the scheme in 2014.
But experts say open defecation not only stems from poverty but a belief that toilets inside the home are unclean.
US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis confirmed Sunday that the Trump administration had decided on a new strategy for Afghanistan after "rigorous" debate, but said President Donald Trump would be the one to announce it. Mattis refused to hint at any details...
China's Lin Dan and Malaysian Lee Chong Wei are both in the twilight of their careers, but they remain among the leading lights at this week?s World Championships in Glasgow. Dan, 34 in October, is a five time champion, and recognised as perhaps the gr...